Friday, March 19, 2010

Here we go again...

It's always interesting when Travis calls me from work and says..."Hey"...hmmm...that usually means something interesting is about to happen...So this time it was, "hey, some people are getting a team together to do the Bataan Death March in March, what do you think?" What do I think? uh, are you asking me to participate because I can tell you right now anything with the word death in the title, hmmm...no so much. He wasn't asking me to participate but more what I do best, being a sherpa. What is a sherpa? By defination it is ...A member of a traditionally Buddhist people of Tibetan descent living on the southern side of the Himalaya Mountains in Nepal and Sikkim. In modern times Sherpas have achieved world renown as expert guides on Himalayan mountaineering expeditions. Basically, they carry all the crap that one would need to climb up Mount Everest. Well, in triathlons or marathons, everyone needs a sherpa and for Travis, it is I. I actually do not mind being a sherpa because it usually means, I'm not participating and sometimes, thats okay. But it does give me the bug to actually participate but thats a whole other story. We are headed to White Sands Missle Range so Travis can be one of the 5 on his team to carry a 35lb pack, 26.2 miles. This isn't your ordinary marathon, this is the replicate the Bataan Death March.
The Bataan Memorial Death March is a challenging march through the high desert terrain of White Sands Missile Range, N.M., conducted in honor of the heroic service members who defended the Philippine Islands during World War II, sacrificing their freedom, health and, in many cases, their very lives.
Better get to it...I've now got to pack for myself, Isaiah and Iris. And yea, they are kids they don't need too much but again, they are kids...and well, I'll stop short of taking the kitchen sink but uh, I'll be taking a lot with us...Here we go again...

No comments: